Sweek Flash Fiction Competition [general information]
February 1, 2018
February 1, 2018
With the new year of 2018, we launch a new version of our popular Microfiction challenge – Sweek Flash Fiction Challenge 2018!
With our attention span constantly decreasing, we believe that flash fiction is the perfect modern form of storytelling which can be quickly written or consumed. Limit of 250 words means that each story will take you only one minute to get through! Check the winners of the previous edition – Microfiction rounds of 2017 if you are looking for some gripping, yet short stories or want get an idea of what our juries are looking for.
Updated rules will give you a new way to challenge yourself and win attractive prizes! Say a lot in a little! 😊
How does it work?
- Every round gives you a new word that you must include in your story (open topic) or a specific theme to write about.
- Only prose is accepted.
- You can join the contest at any time (even if you didn’t take part in the previous rounds). Also, the winners and shortlisted authors of the earlier editions are welcomed to participate in the following editions.
- At the same time the contest is running in the following languages: English, Dutch, German, Turkish, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and Polish.
- You have 3 weeks to write, then the jury members along with the Sweek editorial team will be judging the entries.
- The announcements of the new round will go live on the 1st of each month via our Social Media channels as well as via our official account on Sweek. The winners will also be announced via our Social Media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), blog and e-mail.
- The jury prize will be based on the writing style, originality and plot development of the story. The most popular story will be determined by the total number of likes.
- Every round you must tag your story with a hashtag that includes the word #micro + the word of that round. Please note that the keyword and the tag will be different each round!
- The author of the best story will receive $50 and will be published in the Sweek Microfiction book with all the shortlisted stories via Sweek self-publishing. BUY THE FIRST MICROFICTION BOOK!
- There will be one winner in The Best Story category, one person will get The Best Feedback title and one story will be awarded as The Most Popular Story (read more about the prizes below).
- To win in The Best Feedback category you must tag your comments with #micro[word]feedback.
- The shortlist will include 10-20 titles (all will be published in the bundle). If there are enough high-quality stories selected by the jury, the longlist will also be announced. However, the titles on the longlist will not get to the bundle.
ROUNDS OF THE FLASH FICTION CHALLENGE 2018
First Round: #MicroHeart – word (1st of February – 22nd of February) – FINISHED, check the winners
Second Round: #MicroLetter – theme (1st of March – 22nd of March) – FINISHED, view the results
Third Round: #MicroKey – word (1st of April – 22nd of April) – FINISHED, view the winning stories
Fourth Round: #MicroGame – theme (1st of May – 22nd of May) – ONGOING – see more details
GENERAL COMPETITION GUIDELINES
- You need to be 13 years or older to participate. Younger participants need their parents’ permission.
- The contest is international and is open to every country. Nonetheless, your story must be written in English.
- The story cannot exceed 250 words.
- The story doesn’t have to be exclusive (for instance, it can be from your blog) but needs to be newly uploaded on Sweek.
- The story must have the #hashtag that includes the word of that round (micro + word of the round).
- The story must be created by you. You can also write with a friend if you want to, but in case you win, the prize will be shared. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited and actions may be taken against those involved in plagiarism.
- The story must be submitted and finished before the deadline. Don’t edit your story afterwards – it will lead to your disqualification from the contest.
- You can participate with multiple entries.
- You can join any round of the contest at any time.
- The story can be in any genre, as long as it’s prose, not poetry. It can be a combination of e.g. young adult, romance, fantasy, science fiction and crime.
- Most popular story is determined by the number of likes. Falsification of likes and followers will lead to disqualification. The most popular story needs to meet quality requirements determined by the Sweek team. You can only win one popularity prize as a writer.
- Spam comments/messages with promotion of your story (except for a special story dedicated to promotion) will result in disqualification and possible account deletion if the behaviour continues.
- If winners do not respond within a timeframe of two weeks, then the price will be given to the second place.
- By entering in this competition, you give Sweek the right to publish your story in a book. In case the author does not agree, he/she must state in the short description that Sweek cannot publish the story in print.
- The cash prize will be transferred via PayPal (Sweek bears the transfer costs). If the winner is based in Europe, the cash prize will be arranged via a bank transfer. In case there is no option to create a Paypal account, we can arrange the prize via a gift card or a bank transfer for which the costs are split. We’re not responsible for currency conversion rate at the time of transferring the cash prize.
- Participation in this contest means that the user is aware of and accepts the rules of this contest.
How to join?
Step 1. Search for #micro[word] on Sweek and read a story.
Step 2. Provide feedback/critique in a comment on the story.
Step 3. Add #micro[word] at the end of your comment so that we can find it.
Step 4. You can participate as many times as you like during each round. You can take part even if you didn’t write a story on the topic!
K. Banning Kellum
K. Banning Kellum is a life-long resident of New Orleans, LA. A documentary actor, article writer and horror author, Kellum is best known for his Hyraaq Tobit series of horror stories. A proud husband and father, Kellum credits his love of family and the haunted history of New Orleans as his source of inspiration.
DO I NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE APP?
You can use the app or the web version, it is up to you. There is slightly more functionality present on our app version currently though. For example, receiving notifications when you have a new comment on your story!
HOW DO I PUBLISH A STORY?
Step 1: Download the Sweek app or use our website.
Step 2: Create an account or log in.
Step 3: Go to ‘My stories’ and then click on ‘New story’. Create a chapter and write or copy in your story.
Step 4: Publish your story and fill in the correct tag in your Story Details (if you are using the website, do not forget to press Enter!). Finalize by ‘Publish’ – your story is now published and part of the writing contest!
WHAT IS THE WORD LIMIT?
250 words max.
WHAT IS THE PRIZE?
The Best Story: $50 cash prize + getting published + a free copy of the bundle!
The Best Feedback: $15 cash prize
The Most Popular Story: will be featured on Sweek and will be awarded with a special badge.
All shortlisted authors will get published in the bundle and will be featured on Sweek.
CAN I PARTICIPATE WITH MORE THAN ONE ENTRY?
Yes, you can.
IS THE CONTEST AVAILABLE IN OTHER LANGUAGES THAN ENGLISH?
Yes, at the same time there will be flash fiction contest running in the following languages: English, Dutch, German, Turkish, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and Polish.
HOW DO I ADD A TAG AND EDIT MY STORY?
You need to add it to your Story Details (don’t forget to press Enter on the website).
For each contest, you can edit your story as many times as you want before the deadline. To access your story: log in, go to ‘my stories’ and click on your story. To edit your story title/description, go to the 3dot menu in your Story Dashboard and click Story Basics; to edit your tags/other story details, go to the 3dot menu in your story dashboard and select Story Details.
HOW DO I KNOW WHETHER MY STORY IS PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST OR NOT?
If you see the tag on your story page after you searched for it, it is participating. If you are not sure, contact us via Facebook and we can check it for you.
HOW DO I PROMOTE MY STORY?
Best way is to promote your story via your own Social Media and network. You can also promote it on the Sweek platform (for the official ‘Promote Your Story’ post, created for each round) or share it in the Sweek group on Facebook: Sweek Fan Group. You can find the link to share your story when you search for your story in the search bar and click on it. Here you’ll find the share button on the story info page!
DO I GET A CONFIRMATION OF PARTICIPATING IMMEDIATELY?
No, but if your story is tagged, you are surely participating. However, if you’d like to know for sure you are participating, please ask us.
HOW CAN I SEARCH FOR MY STORY?
The current search is based on the title, the description and the tag. So you can search for either of those.
WHAT IF I CAN’T FIND MY STORY ON SEARCH RIGHT AWAY?
No worries, sometimes it can take a few minutes after publishing to become visible on all the platforms. If you still can’t find your story the next day, please contact us.
WHERE WILL THE WINNERS BE ANNOUNCED?
We will e-mail all the shortlisted authors within the days after the announcement, but you can find them first on our Facebook page!
WHEN CAN I EXPECT THE SWEEK MICROFICTION BOOK?
We will bundle the winners and finalists of each round and publish them via Sweek self-publishing (every 3-4 rounds, depending on the number of shortlisted stories). If you do not wish for Sweek to publish your story participating in this competition, please indicate this in the short description of your story. BUY THE FIRST MICROFICTION BOOK!